Monday, February 23, 2009

My favorite mechanical card ever





This card was the first major project that I did with the Craft Robo and remains my all-time favorite.

It was originally created as an invitation to a home-brew party at our house. I was still learning how the Craft Robo worked and, consequently, I think it's not an exaggeration to say that I spent more than 50 or 60 hours toiling over the thing, tweaking it til I thought it was perfect.

In the end, I was so pleased with how it turned out that I probably invited dozens of people extra than we normally would have to a casual summer event (resulting in an enormous crush -- great fun, but a bit crowded).

While the mechanism that it uses (a simple brad) is widely used, I've never seen it used in this kind of way, to lift an arm and, at the same time, change the text spoken in a speech bubble.  

I adapted the basic invitation into a happy birthday card. What I've never understood is how poorly it has sold on etsy. It's only in the last few weeks that I even sold a single one (now I've sold THREE! And gotten some good feedback: "Quality workmanship and adorable." and "Very good birthday card for guys").

Anyway, I wondered if the problem was the photos, so yesterday, Tad helped me take cleaner ones, in the light tent, with a white background (maybe the greenery that I had as a background made it difficult to tell what was going on?).

I also will link to the video from the etsy listing so that people can see how it works.

Hopefully that will help!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I remember this card from your beer party - it's a great one!

Michelle-a-bella said...

Awesome card! Where do you learn how to make cards like these??? I have searched high and lo and all I see is how to do it once it is made, not HOW to make it! Thanks so much for sharing!